If you are passionate about the environment, then you know that packing food in disposable containers can be harmful to the earth’s ecosystems.
If you are trying to conserve the environment and you are in the food business, there are several things you can do to make takeaway food more environmentally-friendly.
Try the Following Tips:
- Use biodegradable packaging: Instead of using plastic that has been found to be harmful to the environment, you should opt for biodegradable packaging that can be recycled. But make sure that they are labelled with reminders for people to recycle.
- Don’t serve excess portions: Most restaurants have the misconception that if they charge their customers more and serve them larger portions of food, the customers will keep coming back. This is far from true. In reality, when customers buy takeaway food and receive excess amounts, those who do not want to rewarm it end up throwing much of it away.
- Reward customers who bring their own environmentally-friendly packaging: Have a reward system for people who bring their own packaging, such as food tins, when they come to buy takeaway food. This will encourage customers to bring their own packaging and you will not have to worry about providing it to everyone who comes in.
- Educate staff on the importance of saving the environment: You can only win the war against environmental degradation if the people who work with you also understand what’s at stake. Make members of your staff understand why they do not always have to give customers as many disposable items as they do.
- Ask customers if they need extra packaging: Do not just assume that since a customer is buying takeaway food they need plastic cutlery and packets of salt, sugar, and pepper wrapped in plastic. Ask them first and be sure that they need them before including them in the takeaway package.